October 29th. One-day ride Start/Route/Finish TBA.
Fun day starting with breakfast, visiting 3 or more old out of the way cemeteries, and finishing with a lunch social at a restaurant or cafe.
1. Your residence, or
2. Denny’s at 16401 Delone St, Santa Clarita at 7:00am for breakfast; KSU 8:00am
Enroute stops: Three (or more) cemeteries of your choice
Destination: Voyager Café, 1434 Flight Line, Mojave, 12:30 lunch Meet-Up.
Below is a list of seven (7) cemeteries north of LA.
The destination is the Mojave Airport, which is a boneyard for unused aircraft from the Airlines; a perfect lunch location for a Cemetery Tour!
We will meet for lunch at the Voyager Café located in the base of the control tower. For Garmin users the address is: 1434 Flight Line, Mojave.
Between your residence and the Voyager Café, visit at least three cemeteries from the below list or from your own list. While visiting a cemetery, find out something unique about it to share with the group during lunch; take photos on your cellphone so we can share the experience.
Mike Barber and I will be having breakfast at Denny’s at 16401 Delone St, Santa Clarita. It is located south of CA-14 off of Sand Canyon Road, exit #9. You are welcome to join us on a ride to a few cemeteries and into Mojave.
The Cemetery Tour counts as a Traveler’s Award Ride and also as a General Membership Meeting. Basically, it is an SCMA Meet up for us to get out riding and meet up with fellow riders.
We look forward to seeing you
For a list of GPS Coordinates and GPX files click HERE.
1) Verdugo Hills Cemetery – Now closed. In the 70's, there was a huge storm/flood, sending several caskets and bodies into the neighborhood. Unknown if road accessible.(http://scottwilsonsblogspot.blogspot.com/2007/08/verdugo-hills-cemetery.html)
2) Glen Haven Memorial Park – Sylmar – Rumors of it being haunted. A statue near the mausoleum walks around at night.(http://www.ghosthuntergirls.com/places/ca/glenhaven.html)
3) San Fernando Pioneer Cemetery – Second oldest cemetery in the San Fernando Valley.(http://www.sfvhs.com/pioneer_cemetery/pioneer_cemetery.html)
4) Lyons Family Cemetery – Just off the CA-14 freeway. Millions pass this going N/B on the 14 near Newhall and have no idea it exists. Dates back to late 1800's. (http://www.scvhistory.com/scvhistory/ap1037.htm)
5) Palmenthal Pioneer Memorial Park – Located in Palmdale when German, Swiss, and Russian immigrants flocked to the area. Dates back to the 1800's.(http://www.avgenealogy.org/cemetery/palmdale_cemetery_history.php)
6) Rosamond Insane Asylum – Only ruins now, supposedly haunted.(http://www.hauntedplaces.org/item/rosamond-insane-asylum-ruins/)
7) Mojave Cemetery – quick drive by on way to lunch. Late 1800s.(http://mojavecemetery.com/)
Here is some recent information and pictures about the Lyons Family Cemetary submitted by Mike Williams.