Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is 2020 The Year That Spells The End of Riding / Driving Clubs?
tgary
Post Is 2020 The Year That Spells The End of Riding / Driving Clubs?
on: June 25, 2020, 06:59

Thought I would put this here as this Forum seems to have nothing but crickets chirping these past few months.

Not just here at SCMA....but HOG also.....and my Car Club has been silent except for a few pleas for members to step up and take board positions no one wants to fill.

It has been a topic for discussion for a few years now....we are All getting older / more infirm...and younger generations tend to shun organized clubs / organizations.

I feel that when this Pandemic is finally over......many folks will not resume riding / driving as a group. Many of my friends have either traded their bike for a trike or liquidated their wheels altogether. My car club friends have bought trailers and have been towing their cars to shows and no longer tour in them.

I know many Board Members of my Clubs have been pondering the issue of declining membership this past decade......actually, I think it started with the recession of 2008.

Will 2020 be the death knell?

Is it OK to see these organizations end and we all ride / drive solo?

Just thought I'd throw this out for discussion.....

lmichael
Pro
Post Re: Is 2020 The Year That Spells The End of Riding / Driving Clubs?
on: June 25, 2020, 21:36

Balderdash, I say. 😮

There is a rhythmic wave of this same thing happening for the last millennium, in all aspects of activities and socio-economic groups. 😎

I have personally witnessed this for the past 50 years of riding, and expect it to continue for the next 50 years, until the year 2070, when all petroleum powered vehicles of transport are prohibited, and then only Outlaws will have antiquated motorcycles or classic cars. 😛

I will be 116 when that happens, so I don't really mind if my wheelchair is electric powered, or pushed along by a cute candy-striper. 😛

Now...... what were we talking about? 😉

mikakw1
Administrator
on: July 10, 2020, 08:01

I didn't see this post buried at the bottom of the forum. Clubs going away? Who knows. Maybe they will be modified somehow, but club participation in all type of clubs/organizations is changing. For you long time members of SCMA, I am sure you have seen a change in rider participation and number of rides. Riders aging out, moving away from So Cal in search of lower taxes, less traffic, and clean air, fewer riots? The reasons are long.

I am a rookie with SCMA of six years, but have enjoyed nearly all events I have attended as well as those members I have met. One of the reasons I enjoy SCMA, is that I am NOT a big group rider. With SCMA, I like checking in for the ride and greeting my fellow riders, getting my ride sheet, hitting the road solo and riding at my pace (whatever that pace is that day for me), then meeting up with the riders and talking about the ride or whatever else is taking place. Always a great time, whether that be the local rides or the premiere rides! Three Flags would have been my sixth in a row and looking forward to the ride in 2021. I know, six Three Flags isn't even a drop of gas in the tank for many of you. I had to postpone my "Four Corners" and "US Best 15" until 2021, as I am still recovering from a head on collision six weeks ago (thankfully I was driving my wife's now totaled cage and not my Wing). No broken bones, but still recovering from severe whiplash. Hope to be recovered enough to ride the "5 Passes" in August.

116 in 2070. Awesome! I will be sure to save you a seat at the 2070 SCMA Awards Banquet.

tgary
on: December 20, 2020, 06:07

Sending out Christmas Greetings to the field of Crickets that is the SCMA Forum! 🙂

lmichael
Pro
on: December 24, 2020, 07:38

Happy Holidays to One and All.

Be Safe out there. This pandemic is NOT over, by a long shot, and if anyone is doubting the reality of CoVid19, just look at the number of deaths in the USA, with well over 325,000 citizens of this country no longer able to ride their motorcycles (if they were all motorcycle riders)

Be Strong, Adapt to the Ever Changing socio-economic climate we live in, and if you can, reach out and help a neighbor.

Personally, I am hoping for Whirled Peas........... 😀

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.009 seconds.

Forum Archive
Please post all new comments in the above forum. These archives are available for reference past threads only.

FB Also visit our Three Flags Facebook page.

SCMA Archive | Three Flags Archive

Comments are closed.