Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Camping?
ssmith
Post Camping?
on: May 14, 2013, 11:46

Im sorry if this is covered but I didnt see anything specific. Has anyone just raodside camped along the way on this trip before? Im planning to pull away from the main road of course and have a little dome (36in tall) just big enough to crawl in. Anyone have tips or experience in this?

wmasters
Post Re: Camping?
on: May 23, 2013, 18:55

Hi This would be perfectly doeable. I have done this method myself a few times on trips. I am plus 65 ,so am hoteling it now. As II faded I did 2 nights dry camping and 1 night in a cheap hotel. Fond memories. I am starting 4 corners in 2 days, May 26th. 1st stop Blaine then San Ys. across to Maine then finish off at Key West.

richreed70-
Post Re: Camping?
on: July 29, 2014, 14:10

I'd like to revive this topic, as the last entry was 2013. I am looking to do something similar on my 4C, starting August 30th. Even them nifty little Cheap & Clean motels in small towns where you can pull your scoot right up to your door are now running $80 a night. ANyhting along an insterstate with a recognizable name (Best Western, Quality Inn, even Holiday Inn) are for the most part over $100.

I always take bare basic camping gear on long trips with unplanned stops as "Motel Insurance" - i.e. in the even I pull into a small town at dusk dead-bone tired and find out that the Johnson sisters are getting married this weekend and the ony hotel in town is booked solid. This worked even for Alaska, where we found lodging every night on the road, despite the fact it was June and the road was full of northbound snowbirds. But now, I think camping would be a good way to reduce costs. Not every night, but every other or every third night.

Any tips on camping along the way is appreciated. I am particulary interested in:

Campsites, free or otherwise, in Texas, especially in the Big Bend region
    Campsites out on the Florida Keys
    Campsites along Interstate 10 or thereabouts

Once along the East Coast I am in familiar territory, having grown up in the Northeast and spending a good chunck of my Army years up and down the coast, so I can sponge off friends if need be. 🙂

Thanks

Rich Reed
Woodinville, WA

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.006 seconds.

Forum Archive
Please post all new comments in the above forum. These archives are available for reference past threads only.

FB Also visit our Three Flags Facebook page.

SCMA Archive | Three Flags Archive

Comments are closed.