Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Whats Your Favorite Mission? Why?
fjim
Beginner
Post Whats Your Favorite Mission? Why?
on: June 9, 2013, 20:22

Do you have a favorite (so far)?

bugsinmyte-
ethman
Post Re: Whats Your Favorite Mission? Why?
on: August 7, 2013, 20:31

That's a hard one. How about two Missions? Mission San Antonio de Padua and Mission La Purisima Concepcion. Both are more like I had imagined in my head as to what they would’ve looked like back in the day. More authentic, if you will.

Bugs

dhkent55
Advanced
on: January 6, 2014, 21:07

Kinda late to this thread, but so far my favorite is San Juan Bautista. I really like the sleepy little town with all the chickens running around! HaHa!!

805gregg
on: June 3, 2014, 17:37

Santa Barbara is very nice, you can imagine what it was like before all the buildings blocked the view

fjim
Beginner
on: July 23, 2014, 22:24

I like San Miguel for it's original structures. Nothing there has been rebuilt. The church is all original. I was amazed while reading about the other missions while on tour how many have been moved or rebuilt in the early 1900's. And San Miguel has an amazing cemetery on the north side of the building. Check out that staircase to the bell tower.

The other is La Purisma. You really need to get off the bike there, stay away from the visitors' center and walk the grounds. That one is also very original and by saving all the surrounding property it really gives a good feel for how the "mission" wasn't just a church so much as an entire community. Something the other sites don't convey as nearly well.

dhkent55
Advanced
on: September 6, 2014, 17:02

I'll throw another contender into the mix. Mission San Antonio de Padua. Unlike the missions that have been surrounded by urbanization, this one is definitely in the sticks. It really gave me a feel for what it might have looked like back in the day. Plus, I rode there on a blazing hot day in July, and stepping into the cool, shady interior truly felt blessed. Lots of original stuff left there as well, and definitely worth visiting whether doing it for the challenge or just as a day trip.

From there I rode to San Miguel...another really beautiful setting. Unfortunately I had left my cellphone in the tank bag plugged into a charger and it got too hot. When a smart phone gets too hot it's IQ goes WAY down. I stood there waving it around in the baking hot air trying to cool it down enough for the camera to work; I am sure the young family coming out of the chapel thought I was nuts! 😉

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.006 seconds.

Forum Archive
Please post all new comments in the above forum. These archives are available for reference past threads only.

FB Also visit our Three Flags Facebook page.

SCMA Archive | Three Flags Archive

Comments are closed.