Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: First time Four Corners ride
dsarrocco
Administrator
Post First time Four Corners ride
on: August 5, 2013, 20:34

Hello

My name is Dean and next weekend i start my first ever four corners ride in Florida. I am excited and a little nervous at the same time. The forum has given me great information and planning strategies for this awesome ride.

As I will be going to Key West first and then to Main I am curious if anyone has used Route 13 in Virginia to Delaware to avoid Washington DC and Baltimore traffic. If so could you please provide an estimate on the amount of time that route takes.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Dean

w4swk
Post Re: First time Four Corners ride
on: August 6, 2013, 17:33

Hi Dean
I am relatively new to this group but let me be the first to say welcome to the "arena"! My wife and I rode (she rides her own) the 4 Corners earlier this year. If you are a fan of long rides, you will have a blast! We rode in hot, cold, rainy, tornado, stormy, blah, blah, blah weather and enjoyed every minute! We are already planning the True X ride for next year.

I have no comment as to the route question you pose. When we did our ride, we routed from FL-ME-WA-CA. I would suggest that you consider traveling through Canada out of Madawaska...the Trans Canadian is a nice smooth road with plenty of good stops along the way. We dropped back into USA at Flint, Mi. (stop for lunch at the Bob Evans).

Good luck and keep us posted...Sharlene and I get great enjoyment out of "following along" as our fellow riders make their way! I know that the ride is time consuming but if possible, pop onto the forum and make a quick blurb as to your progress.

Ken and Sharlene

http://kenshar.blogspot.com

on: August 6, 2013, 18:14

Hi Dean,
I'm the wife navigator half of Ken and Sharlene. Welcome to the most fun and challenging ride. I have reviewed our ride notes from the past two four corner rides. Our first time through that neck of the woods, we purposly circled around the DC on 234 and out to the Broadlands area to stay overnight with family. We took 9 over to 81to Scranton,PA then 84 thru NY, CT and MA. Pick up MA 90 turnpike to 495 and that dumps you right at the NH boarder. This year we cut away from the coast in SC on 26 and connected to 77 at Columbia SC. This put us in line to pick up 81north of Wytheville,VA. From there we retraced our ride up to Madawaska. The weather and avoiding big city traffic has always been my driving factor in planning our route. Good luck,enjoy and fill free to ask any other questions.

Sharlene

on: August 6, 2013, 19:06

Hello Dean, I have ridden on most of US 13 in North Carolina, Virginia & Maryland. Not sure I would recommend it as an alternative bypass to I95 for a USA4CT. A lot of US 13 is two lane, especially in NC, and even where it is four lane it is not limited access. It still goes though a lot of small towns with reduced speed limits (and speed traps!!). Also it goes through the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area that can be a traffic nightmare at the wrong time of the day too! It does have the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, which is kinda neat, but hey, it is just a looooong bridge with a couple of tunnels!!

To bypass the DC and other major east coast cities, I would recommend taking I95 up to Fredricksburg, VA and then US 17 North to I66 then west to I81 then north to I84 then east to I90 then east to I495 then north back to I95. That is way I went back in June on my USA4CT. Also, make sure you take I295 around Richmond.

Let me know if you have any more questions!!

Jim

cjames
on: August 6, 2013, 19:19

The above post on: August 6, 2013, 19:06 was from me (cjames). Not sure why it showed up as "guest".

Jim
2012 Harley Ultra Limited
http://jimsmotorcycletrips.blogspot.com/

banderson
Advanced
on: August 7, 2013, 07:29

Jim

The "guest" designation is popping up from time to time. We don't yet know why. Our contractor, Assist My Business, is looking into it.

See you on the road

Blake P. Anderson
SCMA Chairman
(714) 801-3931
BlakePAnderson@gmail.com

dsarrocco
Administrator
on: August 7, 2013, 11:36

Thank you all for the information and different options. Not sure which one i will use until i get there. It sounds like this was a great and enjoyable ride for all. I am looking forward to it and will post once completed.

Cheers
Dean

gelliott
Advanced
on: August 7, 2013, 16:43

Dean,

Good luck on your ride. Are you going to have a Blog or Website to follow your trip?

Ride safe.

Regards,
Elliot

dsarrocco
Administrator
on: August 8, 2013, 08:51

Quote from gelliott on August 7, 2013, 16:43
Dean,

Good luck on your ride. Are you going to have a Blog or Website to follow your trip?

Ride safe.

Regards,
Elliot

Elliot

No blog or website, i wanted to get off the grid for awhile.

Cheers
Dean

loneranger
Beginner
on: August 26, 2013, 03:10

Good Morning, Well I guess I have ran out of excuses to put this off anymore.. My ride will start on Friday Aug 30th.to head towards my starting point in Key west by Aug 31st. Meeting up with a few other guys at jacksonville on sunday Sept 1 to depart on morning sept 2 nd for a 50CC ride to san diego, then I will head south to san ysidro ,,about face to Blaine wash. hopefully by Thursday nite Sept 5th. Then I can slow down a tad if I make it this far on schedule.. Total miles from my home and back will be about 10030. Hope to complete it in 10 days toal that way I will get a couple of IBA certs.. including the 10/10ths

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.02 seconds.

Forum Archive
Please post all new comments in the above forum. These archives are available for reference past threads only.

FB Also visit our Three Flags Facebook page.

SCMA Archive | Three Flags Archive

Comments are closed.