Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2014 Best 15 US Roads Challenge?
bugsinmyte-
ethman
Post 2014 Best 15 US Roads Challenge?
on: November 6, 2013, 09:34

Any news on what the 2014 Best 15 US Roads Challenge will be?

banderson
Advanced
Post Re: 2014 Best 15 US Roads Challenge?
on: November 8, 2013, 12:44

THIS RESPONSE IS EDITED FROM MY ORIGINAL NOV 8 RESPONSE: Charlie Coyner is the 2014 chair (his third year). The 2014 collection is unchanged from 2013. It's a winning combination. Having said that, look for a revamp in 2015 to keep the challenge fresh. If you have suggestions for the 2015 collection, please let Charlie know at your earliest convenience.

For the 5 people that completed the 2013 collection, we suggest that you ride the collection backward. As we all know, every road is a different experience when you ride it in the opposite direction.

Thanks for your interest in this great riding event. It is called a challenge for a reason. It tough. And it is scenic, historic and a very personal journey into corners of the Country few folks ever experience.

See you on the road

Blake P. Anderson
SCMA Chairman
(714) 801-3931
BlakePAnderson@gmail.com

bpkunzelma-
nn
on: January 3, 2014, 20:58

Well,

It looks like I will be doing the 15 this year, 2014. I just registered and paid so all I have to do now is ride. I live in the SE of the country so I guess I will be going from NC to TN to VA to NH yada, yada and so on....

banderson
Advanced
on: January 4, 2014, 08:43

Just a note on completion strategy: Remember you can do it in any order and at any time during a SINGLE calendar year. If you can't manage to block out a single amount of time to accomplish the ride, then break it up into bite-sized pieces. For those riders living along the Mississippi River, for instance, you can take advantage of weather breaks and your starting location to knock off the west on one leg and the east on another.

Do be aware that you must travel back and forth from home on a bike, trike or bike w/ sidecar. In other words, renting a bike during a business trip to Billings to knock off Beartooth and US 16 is not allowed and not in the spirit of the way we have designed the challenge.

Also, it is perfectly okay to combine the Best 15 with other SCMA premier events like the USA Four Corners True X, for instance. All rules apply while combining two rides. You must complete the True X in its allocated 26 days along the way, for instance.

See you on the road

Blake P. Anderson
SCMA Chairman
(714) 801-3931
BlakePAnderson@gmail.com

Jhallford
on: January 8, 2014, 04:36

I am planning the 15 best in conjunction the Four Corners for this summer. Thinking of heading for Blaine, WA where I will begin the Four Corners. On the way to Blaine I will try and knock out as many of the western Best 15 as possible in route to Blaine and before the 21 day clock starts.I will ride south to San Ysidro then East to Key West and North to ME. Then on the way home to Texas and after the clocked has stopped, pick up the few roads on the Eastern seaboard.Hope the Going to the Sun opens early this year!

Sharjeep
on: February 12, 2014, 23:52

How may we qualify for the Best 15 if we don't live in one place year round. Keep in mind we have done the 4 corners the last 2 years. We are talking about the True X, 3 Flags, and the 2 CA adventure rides missions and parks for 2014.Having that riding goal, I can't help wanting to round the year out by riding the Best 15 as well. I typically plan our rides however, we are retired and travel in our RV full time. I know guys everyone should have this problem!

banderson
Advanced
on: February 13, 2014, 21:12

You are describing a scenario that we did not anticipate when we set the challenge and created the rules. Taken to the extreme, your situation in an RV could mean that you start and end all 15 challenge road runs within sight of the front door of your "home". I'm not suggesting that's your intention--I'm just pointing out what it could mean. The board will all be together at the Annual Banquet along with Charlie Coyner who administers the Best 15. We will chew on it. By the way, we had anticipated that snow birds might have a similar situation. One rider I know summers in Michigan and winters in Florida. That would amount to two "home" locations. Perhaps that's the answer. A rider may designate up to two "home" bases of operation from which the rider may begin and end a challenge sequence

See you on the road

Blake P. Anderson
SCMA Chairman
(714) 801-3931
BlakePAnderson@gmail.com

SilverSTre-
ak
on: March 8, 2014, 22:25

Quote from banderson on February 13, 2014, 21:12
You are describing a scenario that we did not anticipate when we set the challenge and created the rules. Taken to the extreme, your situation in an RV could mean that you start and end all 15 challenge road runs within sight of the front door of your "home". I'm not suggesting that's your intention--I'm just pointing out what it could mean. The board will all be together at the Annual Banquet along with Charlie Coyner who administers the Best 15. We will chew on it. By the way, we had anticipated that snow birds might have a similar situation. One rider I know summers in Michigan and winters in Florida. That would amount to two "home" locations. Perhaps that's the answer. A rider may designate up to two "home" bases of operation from which the rider may begin and end a challenge sequence

About the snowbird situation, my riding buddy Larry, who completed the Best 15 with me in 2013, is a snowbird. He just started and finished from his choice of the two homes (his summer home in PA). He would have LOVED to have started at one and finished at the other, but that wasn't within the rules.

bpkunzelma-
nn
on: April 30, 2014, 11:31

Quote from Jhallford on January 8, 2014, 04:36
I am planning the 15 best in conjunction the Four Corners for this summer. Thinking of heading for Blaine, WA where I will begin the Four Corners. On the way to Blaine I will try and knock out as many of the western Best 15 as possible in route to Blaine and before the 21 day clock starts.I will ride south to San Ysidro then East to Key West and North to ME. Then on the way home to Texas and after the clocked has stopped, pick up the few roads on the Eastern seaboard.Hope the Going to the Sun opens early this year!

I am planning on starting the 15 here in the East. I will be leaving on May 16th and beginning with the Tail of the Dragon/Cherohala Skyway. I will then ride up the Blue Ridge Parkway from where it ends close to Cherokee, NC and hop off long enough to ride the Back of the Dragon. I will continue N on the BRP to its beginning close to Waynesboro, VA. Since I have to get up to NYC for my son-in-laws graduation from law school on the 22, I will continue N on Skyline Drive, 105 miles along the ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains in the Shenandoah National Park. When I get off at Front Royal, VA, I will still have a few hours of state, local and a couple of US highways to travel before I am ready to spend the night in Edison, NJ.

Graduation at Madison Square Garden will be followed by some more scenic miles through Litchfield County in CT and into Massachusetts. Ultimately, I will make it up to NH where I will ride the Kancamaugus Highway to complete 4 of the 15 best.

After touring Boston with my wife and son and seeing my daughter graduate from Dartmouth, we will head out to the cape for a few days relaxation on the beach before the family returns home on Delta and I head up to Madawaska, ME for the beginnning of the USA4C TrueX. If all goes as planned, I should be finishing in California around July 10th and ready to finish the California National Parks Adventure Ride (CANPAR)

I began the CANPAR in March when several of us rode from Jacksonville Beach, FL to San Diego, CA. My buddies headed back home in short order, but I headed over the mountains to the desert and visited Joshua Tree NP and Death Valley. When I came back in April to ride with some guys from MotoQuest out of Alaska, I visited Kings Canyon, Sequoia and Manzanar before heading home.

Hopefully, I will be able to finish the 19 NP's left in July so I will get a chance to head home to regroup before we all head to Tucson to ride the TFC. Anyway you slice it, this is going to be a great riding year. I hope to see some of you on the road in the coming months.

Brian Kunzelmann 😎

Hot_Victor-
y_Ride
on: May 8, 2014, 15:07

OMG Brian, you are hardcore! I was hoping to do the triple crown, but my daughter decided to have a baby that's due the week of 3 flags. But I'm still going to run 4 corners and 15 roads which leads me to a question.

I'm able to plot 14 of the 15, but I'm unsure of where Cherohala Skyway ends and Tail of the Dragon begins. Can someone give me a definitive begin & end on this one? Thank you in advance,

Lance

Pages: [1] 2
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.025 seconds.

Forum Archive
Please post all new comments in the above forum. These archives are available for reference past threads only.

FB Also visit our Three Flags Facebook page.

SCMA Archive | Three Flags Archive

Comments are closed.