Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2014 Best 15 US Roads Challenge?
bpkunzelma-
nn
Post Re: 2014 Best 15 US Roads Challenge?
on: June 3, 2014, 18:22

Quote from Hot_Victory_Ride on May 8, 2014, 15:07
OMG Brian, you are hardcore! I was hoping to do the triple crown, but my daughter decided to have a baby that's due the week of 3 flags. But I'm still going to run 4 corners and 15 roads which leads me to a question.

I'm able to plot 14 of the 15, but I'm unsure of where Cherohala Skyway ends and Tail of the Dragon begins. Can someone give me a definitive begin & end on this one? Thank you in advance,

Lance

So the Cherohala Skyway begins in Tellico Plains, TN. Since I just did it beginning on May 16th, I would recommend you start there in TN on TN 165 becoming NC 143. Then you will ride from Tellico Plains to Robbinsville, NC. Once you get in Robbinsville, NC, you will set your motor to Deal's Gap US 129. It is in Deal's Gap where the Tail of the Dragon begins and they have a huge metal dragon and you can shop for all kinds of stuff. You will have no difficulty finding it.

You then ride the Tail to Chilhowee, NC which is where there is a reservoir. You won't see a sign that definitively tells you the Dragon is done, but I basically rode from the overlook down to the lake and everything was straight and flat.

Here is a link to a map that should be helpful.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?vps=4&ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=206208535677603949145.0004faf89a26f3980572c

Have fun and let me know if you have any other questions. You can reach me at bpkunzelmann@gmail.com or 478-335-4714 is my cell.

Hot_Victor-
y_Ride
on: June 9, 2014, 16:55

Thank you, Brian. That was exactly what I was looking for. Safe journeys to you.

Lance

Jhallford
on: July 25, 2014, 17:40

Almost done! On January 8 I posted my plan to begin my Best Fifteen in conjunction with the Four Corners from Blaine WA. Well Sunday July 20 I returned to Fort Worth after completing the Four Corners and all except UT 12 from Bryce Canyon to Torrey which I will complete during the TFC. Four corners was a grueling 11 days with lots of heat and rain including the remnants of Hurricane Arthur but as always...FUN! The Best Fifteen was truly that! The Best. I so hate to come home and see fires in the Cascades that I found to be so beautiful. I began by completing the Twisted Sisters here in Texas during February. April 1 I began a Southwest Loop and completed Coronado Trail, The Million Dollar Highway, HWY 50, Highway 1, as well as taking in the Colorado Monument which might be on a future list. On June 28 my journey began to The Tail of the Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway, Back of the Dragon, Kancamagus HWY & Mt Washington in New Hampshire. Then I rested a day in Madawaska while visiting the park and the great people there. The morning of July 5 I headed South to Key West. Then West to San Ysidro with a stop at home for an Oil and Filter change and headlight replacements. Heading the advise of everyone living in Southern CA I used the strategy of hitting I-5 early on Sunday morning rather than avoiding it and for the most part it worked. I was in San Ysidro at 05:30 and through LA before lunch! It worked for me. I used the same strategy with NY City when I did the 48 in 10. The George Washington Bridge isn't bad at 08:00 on Sunday! After making it to Blaine I rode WA 20 North Cascades. The next day I met my TFC Buddy Greg Hintz from Missoula and he rode Lolo Pass with me. The following day the two of us completed the Going to the Sun road. He returned home and I headed for Red Lodge and completed Beartooth and Chief Joseph before finishing up with Custer and Mt Rushmore. The Four Corners and three outings to get the Best Fifteen added approximately 18,500 miles to the odometer of my 2006 Goldwing! Thanks SCMA for planning some great rides. See you in Tucson soon.

bpkunzelma-
nn
on: July 26, 2014, 21:10

Congrats Jhallford.

I too am almost done. I left home on May 16th and rode the 4 east coast roads on my way up to NYC to see my son-in-law graduate from law school and my daughter graduate from college. After my wife and son flew back home to GA from Boston, I rode up to Madawaska to begin the USA4CTX. On the way to Blaine, WA, I rode the Lolo Pass and the WA 20. On the way back from WA I rode the Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highway and the whole Mt. Rushmore to Keystone ride.

I made if from Orlando to Key West and back in a day which just about knocked me out of the ride, but after a couple of days home for the July 4th celebration with the family, I finished in San Ysidro. On the way to California, I rode the Montrose to Durango, CO ride. After arriving in California, I proceeded to complete the 19 remaining National Parks I had to visit and in also another one of the 15 from Morro Bay to Montery. Once I had left Lassen Volcanic, the last of the National Parks, I headed to Lake Tahoe for an overnight rest before riding US 50 from Carson City, NV to Ely, NV and beyond to Scipio, UT. Today, I rode from Scipio, UT to Torrey and then the UT 12 to Bryce Canyon, UT. I continued South to Springerville, AZ through the heat, lightning and rain.

Tomorrow, I will ride the AZ 191 to Three Way and then ride on over to TX. I should be able to complete the 3 sisters on Monday and then head on back to Macon, GA. Hopefully, I will see some of you over the Labor Day weekend for the TFC and then I will ride the Going to the Sun Highway on my way back to GA from BC.

I am looking at 21000 since leaving home in May. And kudos to the SCMA for the great rides they sponsor.

Pages: 1 [2]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.022 seconds.

Forum Archive
Please post all new comments in the above forum. These archives are available for reference past threads only.

FB Also visit our Three Flags Facebook page.

SCMA Archive | Three Flags Archive

Comments are closed.