Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mission Tips: North Bay Missions
dhkent55
Advanced
Post Mission Tips: North Bay Missions
on: February 25, 2014, 19:37

I'm going to lump the missions in Sonoma and San Raphael into just 1 post because they are similar. Similar in that the real trick is finding parking!

It has become abundantly clear even to me that the challenge is not in riding to all these missions. Oh No! The real challenge is the requirement that we take a picture that includes BOTH the bike AND the mission in one frame. So far I have been able to find a legal parking place that fits the requirements only once...at Mission San Jose. All the others are definitely guerrilla parking! I am getting better at jumping off the bike, shucking the gloves, grabbing the camera, ignoring the drunk homeless guy (That's a bad-a$$ bike, man. Ride far today? [all in this in the Filmore voice from "Cars"] ), dodging through traffic, snapping the pic, and jumping back on the bike before the Po-Po arrives (still ignoring the drunk) and yes they were circulating around the square in Sonoma just making sure there were no miscreants around! Whew!

I have to say that Mission San Rafael was really pretty. Understand, I'm not getting to go into any of these. The location of this mission is very nice. So far my favorite mission in Northern California is still Mission San Juan Bautista (stay tuned), but Mission San Rafael is second on that list.

At Mission Sonoma the whole front of the mission is a no parking zone along a narrow street. If you are quick on your feet you can grab the pic there. I found a spot on the side where I could roll back against the curb in a no parking zone and grab the required picture. Mission San Rafael is sort of the same. It is at the top of a hill with a "T" intersection in front. Once again, there is a spot where you can ride up the hill in front, roll back against a curb, ignore the drunks, and grab a pic.

Good luck! 😉

fjim
Beginner
Post Re: Mission Tips: North Bay Missions
on: March 4, 2014, 02:25

Hey, have some fun with it. Be bold. Do guerilla photography. Park it up on the sidewalk or leave it running on the street, stand in traffic and get the picture without turning the bike off. Then zip off before anybody catches onto what you're doing. You might have to do a lap around the block to plan it (your bike always looks better from the right side and get the sun behind you if you can) but oh the stories you'll tell!

I got one as a wedding party was coming out the front door. They looked confused to come out to an idling motorcycle so I snapped some pictures with the whole bridal party in the background. Then I got on the bike and gave them a big wave good-bye, they all waved back and I was gone! Hahahahaha!

dhkent55
Advanced
on: March 7, 2014, 17:45

HaHa!! I love it fjim! Yeah I agree we gotta make a game out of this, right? I can't wait to get down to the urban missions in the LA area!! 🙂

on: April 2, 2014, 12:36

Look starting in San Diego and going north to do all 21 Missions in one sweep do u think four days would be long enough?

on: April 2, 2014, 12:40

I'm planning on starting in San Diego and going north and doing all 21 Missions do u think four days is enough time to do it?

805gregg
on: June 3, 2014, 17:39

Sure but take your time as there are lots of good roads to ride in between

dhkent55
Advanced
on: June 6, 2014, 17:29

Sorry Guest...haven't been back in a while. yeah you can do them in a 4-day sweep. They don't have to be open; only to get a pic of your bike or you in front! ...but what Gregg said above, take your time. There are some wonderful roads as you head north. I suggest you knock out the San Diego/LA missions in one weekend. Then plan a more leisurely ride north to catch the others. Try to get the SF and San Raphael mission on a weekend to make it easier.

Good luck and ride safe! Dave

fjim
Beginner
on: July 23, 2014, 22:35

Four days? Sure it might be possible but you're really missing a treat.

I was familiar with a couple of the missions before doing this tour. We went visiting when friends came in from the east coast and such. Nothing too deep. But seeing the connections between the missions and being able to see so many of them up close, it was a chance to learn more about them and understand how and why they came to be. It really is a fascinating story highlighting the intersection of Christian proselytization, colonial expansion and cultural evolution on the American continent. Great stuff.

You're spending the time and money to go, get something for your efforts (other than the plaque) and learn about them while you're there. It's a worthwhile story.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.01 seconds.

Forum Archive
Please post all new comments in the above forum. These archives are available for reference past threads only.

FB Also visit our Three Flags Facebook page.

SCMA Archive | Three Flags Archive

Comments are closed.