Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tips for my 4CT
PHBIKER
Post Tips for my 4CT
on: June 5, 2014, 13:35

I live outside of Savannah GA. Plan on starting in California ending in Key West.First pic on July 4th. Plan on blowing across I-1o to Cali in 5 days not much I want to see on that part of the ride. Plan on 400-600 miles a day.101 on the West coast is a must for me. Taking 1 day off in Brunswick Oh to spend time with my parents. I'm riding a 2011 Ultra Classic. Any tips would be great. 21 days and counting.

mok54321
Post Re: Tips for my 4CT
on: June 7, 2014, 02:50

We just did the FCT from Nashville, TN. Here is a link to my journal. Hope it might help you.

http://news.bmwmcon.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/50CC-4-Corners-2014-1.pdf

76graypops
on: September 16, 2014, 07:46

My tip looking back would be. I would have satellite radio wired up, save on trying to find a station.
An APP I used was LIFE360. set it up in advance so people can follow your every move.

gammonsa
on: September 24, 2014, 10:06

Finished my 4CT 13 Sept 2014. Great Journal. As I was reading it, I was having flashbacks of my trip. Thanks for posting.

richreed70-
on: September 25, 2014, 09:39

Just got home from my 4C.

Instead of "blasting I-10 to Cali" I'd recommend you check out US highway 90. Take your I-10 route to San Antonio and jump off on US 90. It may add a few miles to your trip but it is so much easier on you and the bike (no semis and their damn afterdraft). It rejoins I-10 at Van Horn, TX, about 100 miles east of El Paso. Very fast, clean road, just enough towns along the way to keep you gassed and hydrated.

Del Rio is a large town with plenty of cheap and clean motels, eateries and a bike dealer or three. The small burg of Marfa, TX, is a freakin' hoot. If your schedule allows, please do spend a night there at the El Paisano Hotel. If not, schedule lunch at the Futura Cafe. Yow. Best meal I had on my 4C trip.

This route parallels the Rio Grande for many miles, so you have a chance to be entertained by the Homeland Security gang chasing after illegals. I stopped at one point to watch some Bell Jet Ranger flying that I haven't see since my Army days.

Once you get to El Paso, look for the 375 Belt on the eastern outskirts. This is a freeway/expressway that cuts through Fort Bliss and takes a mountain pass to the north of the city and re-joins I-10 near the New Mexico border, and bypasses the downtown crap. For a four-lane it's a nice road, and the brief climb in altitude gives you some relief from the heat.

Once in New Mexico, recommend getting off I-10 at Lourdsburg and taking US 70 west. Again, great road, very little traffic, fast, and way easier on you. At Globe, AZ, hook up with US 60 into Phoenix, and there you can join I-10 again. Take I-10 EAST - don't worry, it seems like you are back-tracking but at this point I-10 runs nearly north and south) to AZ 347, which cust across country to I-8 which will take you into San Diego.

For the trip north, recommend US 395 from San Bernardino, CA to Lakeview, Oregon. Then OR 31 to US 97, and north into Washington at Yakima where you tie into I-82. This joins I-90 at Ellensburg, which joins up with I-405 in the burbs of Seattle, north to I-5 and north to Blaine. Taking I-5 all the way SOUNDS faster, but this way is actually just as fast, is shorter (it is) and way more scenic. It also routes you through Nevada (Reno) which is a neat place to spend a night. I live in Seattle and before I retired my job would have me sending much time in Irvine, CA. I often took my Corvette on this same route rather than flying just for grins.

Hope this is helpful.

Rich Reed
Woodinville, WA

richreed70-

Instead of "blasting I-10 to Cali" I'd recommend you check out US highway 90. Take your I-10 route to San Antonio and jump off on US 90. It may add a few miles to your trip but it is so much easier on you and the bike (no semis and their damn afterdraft). It rejoins I-10 at Van Horn, TX, about 100 miles east of El Paso. Very fast, clean road, just enough towns along the way to keep you gassed and hydrated.

Del Rio is a large town with plenty of cheap and clean motels, eateries and a bike dealer or three. The small burg of Marfa, TX, is a freakin' hoot. If your schedule allows, please do spend a night there at the El Paisano Hotel. If not, schedule lunch at the Futura Cafe. Yow. Best meal I had on my 4C trip.

This route parallels the Rio Grande for many miles, so you have a chance to be entertained by the Homeland Security gang chasing after illegals. I stopped at one point to watch some Bell Jet Ranger flying that I haven't see since my Army days.

Once you get to El Paso, look for the 375 Belt on the eastern outskirts. This is a freeway/expressway that cuts through Fort Bliss and takes a mountain pass to the north of the city and re-joins I-10 near the New Mexico border, and bypasses the downtown crap. For a four-lane it's a nice road, and the brief climb in altitude gives you some relief from the heat.

Once in New Mexico, recommend getting off I-10 at Lourdsburg and taking US 70 west. Again, great road, very little traffic, fast, and way easier on you. At Globe, AZ, hook up with US 60 into Phoenix, and there you can join I-10 again. Take I-10 EAST - don't worry, it seems like you are back-tracking but at this point I-10 runs nearly north and south) to AZ 347, which cust across country to I-8 which will take you into San Diego.

For the trip north, recommend US 395 from San Bernardino, CA to Lakeview, Oregon. Then OR 31 to US 97, and north into Washington at Yakima where you tie into I-82. This joins I-90 at Ellensburg, which joins up with I-405 in the burbs of Seattle, north to I-5 and north to Blaine. Taking I-5 all the way SOUNDS faster, but this way is actually just as fast, is shorter (it is) and way more scenic. It also routes you through Nevada (Reno) which is a neat place to spend a night. I live in Seattle and before I retired my job would have me sending much time in Irvine, CA. I often took my Corvette on this same route rather than flying just for grins.

Hope this is helpful.

Rich Reed
Woodinville, WA

richreed70-

Hope this is helpful.

Rich Reed
Woodinville, WA

ljoe
on: May 26, 2015, 05:47

A must see attraction would be the Madawaska Four Corners Park, Park dedicated to long distance motorcycling. http://www.madawaskafourcorners.org If you don't already have a walkway paver in this park, now would be the time to do so.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.01 seconds.

Forum Archive
Please post all new comments in the above forum. These archives are available for reference past threads only.

FB Also visit our Three Flags Facebook page.

SCMA Archive | Three Flags Archive

Comments are closed.