Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is This True?! :O
dhkent55
Advanced
Post Is This True?! :O
on: June 23, 2015, 08:35

I am finally working my way through the Spring 2015 issue of the Ironbutt magazine. On page 48 there is an excellent article on "Common Ailments of Concern to Long Distance Riders." The author is Dan Arthur, a retired Navy medical corps vice admiral. Among other accomplishments listed in his bio is that he completed "the Four Corners tour in a record 4 days, 10 hours, 42 minutes."

This is simply amazing! Is this accurate or perhaps a misprint? I would love to read a ride report on this if anyone knows where it might be found.

Dave

sshulman
Administrator
Post Re: Is This True?! :O
on: June 23, 2015, 08:54

Dave,

It's not a misprint. While I admire Dan's accomplishment, am a fan of long distance/endurance riding, and have completed a number of IBA events, the USA Four Corners Tour was not designed to be an endurance ride. Dan's accomplishment is amazing, but we do want to emphasize, most of our rides do not require endurance to complete, including the USA Four Corners (21 days max) or the USA Four Corners TRUE X (26 days max).

We do two endurance rides a year. One on the Winter Solstice and one on the Summer Solstice. They are both endurance rides, 1000 miles in 24 hours. Last weekend we did a 1500 mile ride in 36 hours. These are exceptions to all of our other rides. It is not to say we may not offer endurance rides in the future as there has been some discussion about broadening what we offer.

In short, yes, Dan was a certified USA Four Corner finisher in the time period mentioned. (Confirmed by Dannie Fox, USA Four Corners Chair)

Steven Shulman
Chairman, SCMA

dhkent55
Advanced
on: June 23, 2015, 16:47

Wow! Now that is extreme! That is so far beyond anything I could do that it is not even tempting. Hats off to him for sure!

Dave

glafevers
on: June 23, 2015, 18:25

One person riding 4 corners in 4 days on a motorcycle! haha Nonsense! That's 7,000 miles in 96 hours. The math says that's 72.9 miles every hour for 96 HOURS! Besides putting yourself and others at risk with such an unsafe stunt, it's also unbelievable.

loneranger
Beginner
on: July 20, 2015, 05:31

Actually total time claimed was just shy of 107 hrs. But then figure 35 gas stops ,,,one stop every 200 miles. Averaging 15 minutes per stop. Knocks off at least 8.5 hours of available driving time ,,so optimistically 98 hours available driving time with NO SLEEP. Means 71.42 mph average . hmmmmmm

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.012 seconds.

Forum Archive
Please post all new comments in the above forum. These archives are available for reference past threads only.

FB Also visit our Three Flags Facebook page.

SCMA Archive | Three Flags Archive

Comments are closed.