Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are you 3 Flags folks (and others) using for route planning?
mmike
Post What are you 3 Flags folks (and others) using for route planning?
on: March 7, 2017, 07:17

I used to use Microsoft Streets & Trips - it was awesome and worked well.

With that gone, what are people using? I think I must have tried all the online options at this point and they all stink - usually severe limitations on waypoint numbers etc.

What are you 3 Flags staff/planners using now that MS S&T Is gone for these large routes? Basecamp I suspect but that program too is very much no fun to use.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

ddominic
Post Re: What are you 3 Flags folks (and others) using for route planning?
on: June 22, 2017, 06:35

mmike; I still used microsoft trip and street 11,but I also check the route with google earth,works most of the time. ddominic

jmromanco
on: January 27, 2018, 01:45

I use and highly recommend an iPhone app called inRoute. It currently costs $30/year for a “pro” subscription (or you can pay $4 monthly). The pro version allows up to 100 waypoints and also includes charting of elevations, temperatures, curviness, (by time or distance), as well as wind speeds and sunrise/sundown times indicated on the charts. The pro version includes weather alerts too. I use inRoute to quickly plan my routes and alternates on an iPad or iPhone (the routes can be synced so that one created on your iPad is also accessible on your iphone), and then send the gpx files to my Navigator IV or hard enter the final route in Basecamp for loading onto the Navigator. Adding or re-arranging waypoints is much easier than using Basecamp. Waypoints can be color coded to easily distinguish lodging, checkpoint, food, gas stops, etc. along a route. Another neat feature is the ability to search for gas stations, motels, etc. at user selected intervals along the route or at a specified distance from a designated waypoint. The app developer has continued to improve the app with free upgrades from time to time, and I believe there is a free trial version available (but with some feature limitations.

BrianNorri-
e
Advanced
on: January 28, 2018, 07:40

I find that old fashion paper maps is the best way to start the planning. If your a member of AMA or AAA they will give you all the maps and tour books you need. After I get the route planned then I go to Expedia.ca to find hotels and then Maps to see exactly where the hotel is located and if there’s a McDonalds near by so I can get an Egg McMuffin to start my day. Even though I have a current GPS on my bike I still color copy the maps in sections and keep them in the clear map pocket on my riding pants. GPS is great but at times it makes me feel lost, I like to look at a map and see where I am in the world. The little screen doesn’t do that very well. GPS is great for planning fuel stops as well.

jabkam
Advanced
on: February 24, 2018, 17:30

I use a combination of google maps and paper maps to start once the written route is available. Last year (my first, riding a harley ultra ltd with gps) I wasn't able to get the provided downloads to work but was able to use the HD trip planning to develop my own daily routing which worked pretty well (1 operator error) by comparing my route to the published 3FC maps. Waiting to get started once route available. Very similar to Brian above but my screen is quite large so little problem seeing. I use a magnetic tank map sleeve for the section routing and carry the big maps in the bike.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.018 seconds.

Forum Archive
Please post all new comments in the above forum. These archives are available for reference past threads only.

FB Also visit our Three Flags Facebook page.

SCMA Archive | Three Flags Archive

Comments are closed.