Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Border crossing from Mexico to the US
fdave
Post Border crossing from Mexico to the US
on: January 20, 2018, 12:26

I have a question for the 2018 3 Flags Classic.

When we left Puerto Penasco we found the boarder crossing to the USA did not open until 6:00AM. Will this not cause a problem when starting any earlier than 5:00AM.

Also at 6 there was only one booth open at the boarder which could cause a real bottleneck when 300 bikes hit the crossing.

So my question is; Can and will there be any arrangements made to open the boarder earlier, and possibly more that one booth open?

Thanks for the committees work on this
Dave

lmichael
Post Re: Border crossing from Mexico to the US
on: January 20, 2018, 18:08

Dave, without having taken this to a conference conversation with the Board/Committee, I can tell you that right now.....the riders will be allowed to leave from the Start Hotel...dropping their rider # poker chip into the barrel before they leave, at 4:30 am...at the earliest, and up to 7:00 am, at the latest.

Start will be 4:30 am at the earliest, and 7:00 am at the latest.

This was designed with the Lukeville, AZ border crossing in mind.

It is a 63 mile ride from the Start Hotel to the Lukeville, AZ. border crossing border.

The speed limits in Mexico are lower than what riders are used to north of the border. It should take approx. 60 minutes, to 90 minutes to get from the Start Hotel to the Lukeville, AZ. border crossing.

I know that last year, I was rider # 1 (as usual) to arrive at the Lukeville, AZ border crossing, and it took all of 1 hour for me, and my faithful followers to make that commute.

The border will not open early. And given the size of that border crossing, it is up to the border agents as to whether or not they open a second booth. In 2017.....when we were leaving Mexico, they DID open a second exit booth. I know that for a fact. So there were indeed TWO border crossing lanes opened at 6:00 am.

Anyone that leaves the Start Hotel at 4:30 am, and rides to the Lukeville, AZ border crossing, will have to wait for it to open, at 6:00 am. The wait is not that bad. When they opened the border exit gates at 6:00 am this past year, there was probably 30 riders in line, along with 4 cars/trucks.

Ultimately, here is the smart money choice:

Those that leave the Start Hotel at 4:30 am, will be in line waiting for the border crossing to open at 6:00 am.

Those that leave anytime between 5:00 am and 5:30 am, will arrive at the border crossing and find a line in front of them.

Those that wait to leave the Start Hotel....from 6:00 am up to 7:00 am, will most likely find no lines in front of them, or a very short line, as the other vehicles will have been processed and gone.

Tip: Leave the Start Hotel at 4:30 am, missing any breakfast at the Hotel, and be one of the first 30 bikes in line waiting for the border crossing to open at 6:00 am.........or.......

Have a nice breakfast at the Start Hotel, leave there after 6:00 am, and you should have smooth sailing through the border crossing.

Unlike the much larger border crossing that we have gone through 30+ years ago, i.e. Mexicali, where they have 6 to 10 lanes, and we were able to request one special lane to the far right that all the TFC riders zoomed through at 25 mph....without having to stop and show a passport......things have changed in the world of International Border Security, most especially between the USA and Mexico.

Final note, and polite reminder: This is not a race, nor an IBA sanctioned event.
Despite having 30+% of the motorcycles in the parking lot with an IBA license plate frame on their bikes, the Three Flags Classic has never awarded a prize for being first, at any Checkpoint, or at the Finish.

Keep asking the questions, folks...that is what I am here for, so don't hesitate to ask.

fdave
on: January 20, 2018, 21:47

Thanks Miles

I was not worried about being first, just wanted to get out of the desert before it gets too hot. I am Canadian and don't do well in the heat 🙂 I did the Mexicali crossing in 2009. It was a fairly long delay getting thru there

lmichael
on: January 26, 2018, 18:01

Edit: The START time out of the Hotel in Mexico has been changed.

4:30 am to 7:00 am Start window. 😀

That means the earliest you can leave on Friday morning is 4:30 am.

It also means the latest you can drop your Start Card into the box in the lobby of the Hotel is 7:00 am on Friday morning.

That is a 2 and a half hour window of time to drop off your Start Card in the box...in the lobby...of the Start Hotel in Puerto Penasco, Mexico.

IMPORTANT: This year we are reverting back to the old tradition of using a Start Card....rather than the Poker Chip with rider numbers on them, like we did last year, and the year before.

Make sure...100% sure...that you fill out your Start Card....every finite detail that the Start Card asks for info on...and drop that Start Card off into the box, in the Hotel lobby, on Friday morning.

You will FIND your Start Card inside the registration packet that you will receive when you Check-In at the Registration Check-In desk on Thursday, August 30th, at the Start Hotel in Puerto Penasco....Mexico.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.006 seconds.

Forum Archive
Please post all new comments in the above forum. These archives are available for reference past threads only.

FB Also visit our Three Flags Facebook page.

SCMA Archive | Three Flags Archive

Comments are closed.