Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pay at the Pump Limits ... Once in 24 hours. Pay inside.
hbrian
Post Pay at the Pump Limits ... Once in 24 hours. Pay inside.
on: June 6, 2018, 08:57

FYI, this info we in long distance community should know.
We all know "this is NOT a race".

However, in an email to ExxonMobil customer care I stated:

"My fill-up station of choice is Exxon, Mobil, Esso. I am a long distance motorcycle rider. We often do 1,000-1500 miles a day. When doing these kind of miles, we must get in and out of fill-ups quickly. Issue: May 10-14 2018 we did a trip to MT, ID, WA. Used Exxon as much as possible. We found that when we used Pay at the Pump by credit card, more that one time in a 24 hour period, we could not do Pay at the pump. Apparently there is some kind of Exxon policy that "limit"s pay at the pump to once in 24 hours. (according to station staff). For us, that involves a hassle. We will often fill 4 or more times in a day. Starting with the confusion as to why our card wont work at the pump. Then having to go inside to prepay, Then back to the bike to fuel, Then back inside for the receipt. Then get out of there. I need some exact clarification on this. Is this the new Exxon policy? If this is the case, we would avoid Exxon. "

The Exxon reply was:
"ExxonMobil no longer owns retail service stations within the United States. The retail site you visited is supplied by an ExxonMobil-branded wholesaler, and is either owned by that branded wholesaler or an independent dealer.

The branded wholesaler is an independent business that sets their own operating practices and procedures, based on clear expectations of high customer service and operational standards when representing our brands. As such, we have impressed upon our branded wholesalers and their resellers/dealers the importance of providing prompt, courteous and reliable service at all times.

That being said, we would like to provide you with further information regarding transaction limits at the pump:
• The transaction limit is a predetermined limit set for all debit/credit card customers.
• It is important to understand that the transaction limit is there to protect you, your financial institution, and Exxon- and Mobil-branded retail service stations from unauthorized card usage.
• Your financial institution—like many other third party card companies honored at Exxon- and Mobil-branded retail service stations—permits the acceptance of their cards without authorization up to a certain point.
• The transaction limit can be avoided when paying for a purchase inside the station, thereby eliminating the hold at the pump. When paying inside, the actual transaction amount will be deducted from your card.

Finally, we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of a transaction limit. We hope the above information has helped to provide you with another perspective on the matter ...."

mikakw1
Administrator
Post Re: Pay at the Pump Limits ... Once in 24 hours. Pay inside.
on: June 6, 2018, 10:09

I have the same issue at Shell. One and done for the day, then it is a walk inside for each future gas purchase for that 24 hour period when using my Visa card.

PaulALax
Beginner
on: June 6, 2018, 15:52

Strange. I use my Shell card with the Rewards ID many times in the same 24 hour period. When I'm on the road I may fill up 4 or 5 times a day. I use my AmEx card, maybe different cards have different rules.

jabkam
Advanced
on: June 6, 2018, 19:15

I've gotten to rely more on Shell when travelling in the US, Chevron often gives me grief with this, exxon not so much but just starting for this year, will see

mikakw1
Administrator
on: June 7, 2018, 09:25

Quote from PaulALax on June 6, 2018, 15:52
Strange. I use my Shell card with the Rewards ID many times in the same 24 hour period. When I'm on the road I may fill up 4 or 5 times a day. I use my AmEx card, maybe different cards have different rules.

That is strange. When we had AmEx, it was the same issue at Shell as with our Visa, where we had to inside if using Shell more than once per day.

lmichael
on: June 7, 2018, 16:05

I have been through these experiences before, because I have a history of riding through several states and sometimes even 10 or more fuel stops within a 24 hour period. 😀

I now find that I use ONLY a debit card....from Chase Bank.....and no credit card at all.

Works every time at the pump, irregardless of what brand the station is.

If your name is not Paul or Brian...don't follow me 😛

hbrian
on: June 12, 2018, 07:37

Miles: "If your name is not Paul or Brian...don't follow me "

It's difficult to follow you, when I'm in front!

Montauk
on: June 17, 2018, 07:22

I have had issues with AmEx at Shell. I carry 2-3 credit cards, cause I don’t have time to go inside out get on a call with customer service. For AmEx and other Visa, they’ve told me they don’t have any blocks. Visa used to block if I make a couple of trips like convenience store, gas and food. They say that is generally the trend that will put a hold because such trend is spotted in fraud cases.

If I fill gas and go to eat I pull different card, that strategy seem to have made a difference.

I have two Visa card from Chase different numbers bi5 part of United Air. In the past if one get blocked they also blocked the other. It was a pain, but I have not incountered such problems in last 3-4 years.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.016 seconds.

Forum Archive
Please post all new comments in the above forum. These archives are available for reference past threads only.

FB Also visit our Three Flags Facebook page.

SCMA Archive | Three Flags Archive

Comments are closed.