Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2020 Three Flags Classic
lmichael
Post 2020 Three Flags Classic
on: April 7, 2019, 19:09

It all starts here, Ladies and Gentleman. 😀

This is where WE.....the Minions of the SCMA....get to voice our thoughts and opinions for next year's ride....the 2020 Three Flags Classic, which is also the 45th Anniversary of this great ride.

To get things rolling, I would like to take a public poll, and ask each of you to post here......where would YOU like next year's ride to Start from, and where would you like next year's ride to Finish ?

Don't go into a long soliloquy about where we have been in the past.....we know our history.

Keep it short, and to the point.....where do YOU want to Start, and Finish ???

For those riders that are not familiar, or aware of it, next year being the 45th annual running of the Three Flags Classic, which means it is a 5th year event.....means it is also one more extra day of riding, and an additional Checkpoint thrown in there. It also means a longer distance Route, generally 2,200 to 2,500 miles in total.

THINK..... about your answers for the Start and Finish locations..... before you post them.

Do your best to post ONE time, if possible. I know that is hard for some of my riding friends, but....do your best.

I can tell you that Key West, FL. to Prudhoe Bay, AK., has been ruled out. 🙁

Persona of Miles

BrianNorri-
e
Advanced
Post Re: 2020 Three Flags Classic
on: April 8, 2019, 07:27

Miles i seem to recall that the person that put the 40th TFC together volunteered to also put the 45th TFC together. I think you know who I'm referring to, maybe touch base and see if he's still willing.

PaulALax
Beginner
on: April 8, 2019, 07:29

OK, how about Reynosa, Tamaulipas to Winnipeg, Manitoba? Could do lots of roads we haven't done before. Through Texas, Oklahoma, eventually through the Dakotas into Canada.

BrianNorri-
e
Advanced
on: April 8, 2019, 08:40

Paul have you been to Winnipeg before? My ride home back to Calgary would be 14 hours of crappy TransCanada highway with a total of 6 corners. But at least i would be able to see Calgary in the distance for most of the ride. 😉

My suggestion would be to stick closer to the mountains and hills rather than the plains BUT I'm up for almost anything.

BrianNorri-
e
Advanced
on: April 8, 2019, 10:56

Ensenada would be great if we had our own lane exiting Mexico. Is that a 24 hour border? Edmonton not great, Calgary is the only nice City in Alberta. 😉 But Lethbridge would be OK and it's very close to the border. Saskatchewan too flat. How about Canmore or Banff for finish? Victoria? Vancouver? Or anywhere in southern BC west of Cranbrook.

....waiting for Edmonton and Saskatchewan citizens to sling some detritus my way. 🙂

showard
on: April 11, 2019, 04:51

So I have a general question as to why you are asking about ideas for the 2020 ride but this year's ride hasn't even been finalized yet?

Howard
USAF Retired

lmichael
on: April 11, 2019, 07:46

Howard, that is a good question, and a fair one. Here is the answer... 😎

In the days of yore, the information about the following years' ride would be presented at the Finish Banquet of the current year, so that riders at the Finish Banquet would know in September what the Start and Finish locations for the next years' ride would be.

That has NOT been happening the past few years. 🙁

For the past few years, the decision making for all the things needed for this annual ride has been taking longer and longer, which means the riders have been waiting longer and longer to receive the information. 😕

Knowing in advance that next year, 2020 is one of our 5th anniversary rides, which means it is an extra day of riding, and extra miles, and we go a little bigger in all the activities, from the Start, to the Finish Banquet, it helps to get the ball rolling on this......THIS early in the game. 🙂

The "fault", as it were, is not in our "early" prepping for next year, it is in the late execution for this years ride. 😉

We, the Minions of the Three Flags Classic, are trying to get this event planning "back-on-track" as to how it was done for 35+ years, and get the riders...or potential riders...the info delivered to them at the Finish Banquet, so they can plan for next years ride that far in advance.

This does NOT mean that all, or 100% of all the work for the 2020 ride will be completed by the time of the Finish Banquet for 2019. It simply means that decisions will have been made as to the Start...and Finish locations for 2020, including the Start and Finish HOTEL info, and a basic understanding of the Route for next year, including Checkpoint TOWN locations, without being specific as to precisely which motel or dealership the Checkpoints will be located within.

Those finite decisions and contract agreements can be finalized in the months AFTER this years Finish Banquet.

But by having the base information available to be presented to the riders at the 2019 Finish Banquet, as we did for 35+ years, it builds an excitement in the riders, and they can ride home from this years' event, and begin planning next years' ride, knowing WHERE they can make reservations for their hotel stays at the Start and Finish, as well as plan their Route, and where they want to stay along that Route.

Yes, there will be the "official" Route, but riders are NOT required to take that "official" Route, all they are required to do is make the specific Checkpoints along the way from Mexico to Canada.

The "official" Route takes a lot of work, done by volunteers, and there is a lot of work that goes into making sure that every mile/kilometer is something that can be done, no issues with it, and makes for a fun/exciting/pleasurable ride for the masses to ride on. It is a good Route for riders to choose, if they are new to the Three Flags Classic, or want others to plan the riding route for them, or is a route they have not been on personally, so they can see new roads.

There is a misconception that if a rider does not take THEE official Route, then they haven't done THEE Three Flags Classic. That is a bad falsehood, and could not be farther from the truth. 😮

There is NO technical obligation to ride THEE official Route. There are some riders out there that have a LOT of personal experience with the roads in the Western half of the USA, as well as the Western half of Canada. Or, a rider may look at the proposed official Route ad say to him/herself that they have already done THAT route many times in the past, on their own riding, and they now want to try something new. 😛

THEE official Route may not work for everyone. It is there as a suggestion, a helpful tool, etc, for those that don't want to plan their own route, new to riding, or simply want to let someone else do the work involved.

The "official" Routes are generally pretty darn good, and take the riders places that are intended to be good roads, and places of interest.

But each and every rider should make that decision for themselves, do the "official" Route, or do their own Route......as long as they all make the required Checkpoints.

Yes, we are still waiting for finalized information about this years ride, for 2019. But for the most part, any information that the riders need for 2019 HAS been put out there, in E-Blasts.

The only details that still linger...to my knowledge..are the finite specific locations of exactly where each Checkpoint will be located, at which motel/hotel or dealership, etc, and the TIMES that those Checkpoints will be operating.

We are fortunate that this year Paul Lax is the Checkpoint Coordinator/Director, and the man knows what he is doing. Paul Lax is a many, many years veteran of the Three Flags Classic, a rider will a LOT of miles to his credit, but more importantly a LOT of common sense and logic. 😎

Howard, I hope this answers your question, albeit a book length reading.

The work for 2019 is 99% in the bag, and we need to get rolling on the 2020 ride, so we can feed that basic info to the riders at the Finish Banquet this year.

Persona of Miles

oterry
on: April 11, 2019, 18:55

Holy s&$@ Miles! My ears are bleeding!!!

oterry
on: April 11, 2019, 18:56

And I'm no newbie.

Casper
on: April 12, 2019, 15:11

Hello from Minionland in Wyoming. 2018 was my first year. Really enjoyed the ride. Have the belt buckle, and have it on one of my belts.

I usually ride with a flexible riding schedule planned out five years. My question going forward, is does anyone know the dates for 2020 through 2024? Not the start and end location, just the proposed dates.

I am looking forward to the 2019 3FC ride.

Pages: [1] 2
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.016 seconds.

Forum Archive
Please post all new comments in the above forum. These archives are available for reference past threads only.

FB Also visit our Three Flags Facebook page.

SCMA Archive | Three Flags Archive

Comments are closed.