Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: 2020 Three Flags Classic
fron
Beginner
Post Re: 2020 Three Flags Classic
on: August 10, 2019, 07:02

Canada: Lethbridge...nice hotel, accommodating folks, plenty of parking... 2009 3flgs
Mexico:Hmmm...the Sea of Cortz resort, Puerta Penasco (2017)
either N to S or S to N...the 45th should be special

desdog
on: August 10, 2019, 11:00

I say lets start at a location like Las Cruces NM. Do a touch the fence in El Paso, 48 miles South. Not much different travel time than the Tucson or San Diego TFC Touch The Fence Ride.

Or... we can find a large hotel to handle the riders easily in Ciudad Juarez Mexico for the start. This location would likely generate contacts with our Mexican riders in that area and stay true to the TFC principles.

For the route, we travel through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, then an Easterly route through Montana, North Dakota and end up in Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada.

I am getting too familiar with our Westerly rout patterns and this would be a great challenge for the Five day trip...just saying.

Manny

jabkam
Advanced
on: August 11, 2019, 06:03

Love the above idea but maybe add a few more miles and go to Saskatoon, great Saskatoon berry pie place to stop at while there.

lmichael
on: September 4, 2019, 08:18

IDEA for all the Three Flags Classic ORGANIZERS to consider:

Given that the first and original Three Flags Classic began in 1976, I think it would be really cool, and a tribute to the year 1976, to give FREE entry to any riders that register AND show up with a bike that has a manufactured date of 1976. 😀

In this latest version of the ride, in 2019, the OLDEST bike there was a 1996 BMW. 😐

If my olde friend Lyle Dringenberg was still with us this year, it was his plan to ride his 1980 Honda Goldwing 1100 during the 2019 Three Flags Classic, and he and I worked diligently to get that bike out of moth balls (cobwebs, squirrel debris, etc) to get it fully rebuilt, and solid as a road bike, with his intention to ride it in 2019. That bike would have easily won oldest bike...being a 1980 bike. 😎

So, my IDEA...suggestion...to Gonzo and Steve Shulman is to give serious thought to the idea that if a rider registers that they will be riding a 1976 bike, and actually shows up with a 1976 bike, they are given a FREE entry into the Three Flags Classic ride.

And, this should be something that continues every year going forward.

I mean, what are the chances of riders showing up with a 1976 bike?
Maybe 1 in 250. How many riders are going to go out and BUY a 1976 bike, and go through the restoration process, to make it 100 % road worthy, just to get a FREE entry into future Three Flags Classic rides?

THINK about this 😉

sshulman
Administrator
on: October 15, 2019, 10:16

Hello Everyone!
Well, preparations for the 2020 Three Flags Classic have begun.

So there is as little rumor as possible, let me tell you there are 4 people who can dispel most rumors about the 2020 TFC. They are Gonzo, the SCMA Chairman; Steven Shulman, the Three Flags Chairman; and Brian Hooker, the Three Flags Vice Chairman. I intend to monitor this forum regularly between now and the start of Three Flags so you will get much of your information here.

Let me start by telling you I have put out a call for people who want to serve on committees. I have received a fair amount of response and will get information out to those interested this week regarding those committees. If you also wish to participate, we welcome any helpful hands!

The first thing that came up was a request to begin the Three Flags the week following Labor Day. A survey was sent out and an overwhelming response favored the request to move the ride to the week after Labor Day. This survey was conducted after we had requested rated from several hotels for the banquet, so the response we got back were for Labor Day week. Brian Hooker and I traveled to the greater Vancouver area and also Whistler to meet with a number of venues. While there, we asked about rates and availability for the following week.

While we are currently in discussions with a few locations, one of the venues has their banquet room booked the week after Labor Day and the other does not. At this time we are having a difficult time being able to afford either venue for either week. The discussions continue and I hope to have new proposals this week. Frankly, Whistler is our first choice coming in from the north and departing to the south for most people. It is likely the cost will drive our decision whether to have the ride Labor Day week or the week after. I'll keep you posted as negotiations continue.

We have considered a few other options as well. They are:

1) Raising the registration fee for the 45th somewhere between $285 (2019 price) and $325.
2) Reducing the cost at the start to afford the follies at the finish.
and/or
3) A combination of both.

While I know I may hear a lot of "If they raise the rates, I'm not going," we ARE cost conscious! Costs have gone up everywhere and the cost for the 40th ride was .
still under $300... 5 years ago, and that was at the EMPRESS HOTEL! The overall cost for this ride from the time people leave home until they return home runs between $1500 to $2500 USD depending upon your choice of lodging. I hope you'll consider where $40 fits into the equation in the overall scheme of things. I welcome your thoughtful comments.

ROUTE:
We have people working on the route at the moment, despite not inking the finish location. Early work on the start means we have plenty of time to make this a terrific route.

I'll have much more to report as time goes on as we are working on some cool stuff for 45... until then, ride safely!

Steven Shulman
2020 Three Flags Chairman

mehappy
on: November 22, 2019, 10:58

I think that moving 3FC to one week after labor day might be a good idea,(less traffic ,etc..)

sshulman
Administrator
on: December 18, 2019, 11:19

Hello All,
If you have not received the first e-blast for the 2020 Three Flags Classic, please e-mail me to let me know. Steven1050@aol.com. We will get it out to you asap. One reason you may not receive it is if your membership is not up to date, so please check and renew so you will get them as they are sent out. Registration opens for on January 4, 2020 at 10:00 AM Pacific Standard Time.

The first 100 registrants will receive a special gift with their SWAG in Mexico.

DO NOT attempt to use our ride hotels until AFTERr you have registered for the ride. The discounts don't kick in until the time of registration. I've already heard from one member who tried and they were quoted $339 (Canadian) per night in Penticton. Our rate is $169 (Canadian) per night for the first 100 rooms. We have another 45 upgraded rooms available at $199 (Canadian). We'll also list some alternate hotels with special pricing at the time of registration. The banquet will be held at the host hotel.

IF you have questions, please don't hesitate to call or e-mail me.

Sincerely,

Steve Shulman
Steven1050@aol.com
949-769-1726

jabkam
Advanced
on: December 28, 2019, 11:37

Good morning, as we know the hotel info came out, for us canadians we cannot use the 877 number, to reach the host hotel call 011526865641100 it will show as a restaurant but it is the hotel, easily booked. Host in Penticton is out of lowest priced rooms but still has rooms available. See you in September

sshulman
Administrator
on: December 29, 2019, 16:03

Jabkam,
Thanks for posting that information. As soon as we have verified the checkpoint locations in Cortez, CO; Longmont, CO, Rock Springs, WY; and Missoula, MT we will send out an e-blast to that effect. Also if you go to the top of the SCMA web site header you can click on the moving banner to get additional information.

Remember, registration opens next Saturday on January 4, 2020 at 10:00 AM. First 100 registrants get a little something extra in their SWAG bag at the start. Be one of the first 100 rider numbers!

More later...

Steven Shulman
Chairman, 2020 Three Flags Classic
949-769-1726
Steven1050@aol.com

jabkam
Advanced
on: December 30, 2019, 05:21

Thanks lmichael. They did give me the reduced rate for the next available room. I was suprised to get the email on Sat as wasn't expecting it until the 4th. When I called I asked to confirm the rates wouldn't go into effect until the 4th and was told that the information had gotten out earlier and that they had been swamped with calls on Fri and before I called on Sat. I was given 3FC rates at both start and finish.
I had no intention of calling until the 4th, once the information came out but with the info coming out early, thought better try if I wanted to stay at a host, and appears may have been right.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.021 seconds.

Forum Archive
Please post all new comments in the above forum. These archives are available for reference past threads only.

FB Also visit our Three Flags Facebook page.

SCMA Archive | Three Flags Archive

Comments are closed.