Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: 2020 Three Flags Classic
sshulman
Administrator
Post Re: 2020 Three Flags Classic
on: January 3, 2020, 19:14

Registration for the 2020 Three Flags Classic opens Saturday January 4, 2020 at 10:00 AM Pacific Standard Time!

sshulman
Administrator
on: January 3, 2020, 19:21

For Start and Finish hotels, go to the top of this page and look for the RED bar that says LATEST NEWS! If you wait for the news to get to Three Flags Classic hotel information and click on it the information will appear. Make reservations early!

Steve Shulman

fdave
on: January 4, 2020, 10:48

It only took 25 minutes but I am now registered. Website was very busy at 10:00.
The exchange rate on the Canadian dollar is a killer, comes in at $397.62, but I am happy to be riding the 3FC again this year

45Dave
on: January 4, 2020, 11:02

Well, some issues at the 10 a.m. registration opening; I had logged in earlier and refreshed at 10 and got locked out! Prob page got overloaded. By 10:20 a.m. I was able to log in and register myself and my daughter. Whew! Looking forward to the Tour in 2020!
My daughter and I had been doing similar rides for the past several years on our own, and only learned about the 3FC after it finished in Vernon 2019 (close to where I live in Kamloops, BC). Just had to sign up! See you in Mexico in Sept!

sshulman
Administrator
on: January 4, 2020, 20:37

To all who were waiting to register at exactly 10:00 AM this morning we crashed the system due to the number of people trying to register. That's a good and a bad thing! We anticipated this might happen and we had Jack Knorst (SCMA IT guy) standing by in the event our fears came true. My phone and texts started to go a little crazy! At exactly 10:15 we had the system back up and running creating a little space between registrants. The system was able to process 17 people the first minute after we were back up. Thank you for your patience!

We still have a few glitches we're sorting out but we think everyone trying to get it done is registered, or we are working to get a few additional people registered who had some problems. The website isn't perfect it got the job done. Thanks to Jack we got this up and running before people drove to my house!

In the coming weeks I'll be working on sorting the list by day and time so we can issue rider numbers. I'll likely post the top 100 riders in an E-Blast. We promised the first 100 registrants a little something extra in their swag bag.

Also we did make a minor change to the route and Jim Bullen will update his GPX file for you. The change is getting off I-90 outside of Butte, picking up Hwy 1 through Anaconda and riding up to Drummond, back onto the I-90. It adds 11 miles to the ride making the total miles 2496 and kilometers 4017.

We are currently working on specific checkpoint hotels. As soon as those are complete we will E-Blast that information to everyone as well. Please make your reservations for the START and FINISH as soon as possible to ensure a room. If you need current hotel information you can click on the RED LATEST NEWS headline at the top of this page where you can get all the most recent hotel information. Wait for the correct headline to pop up before clicking on it.

Thanks again for your patience. Your committee is working hard to bring you a great event!

Steven Shulman
3flagschair@sc-ma.com
949-769-1726

fdave
on: January 5, 2020, 13:55

Steve and your committee are doing an excellent job. I appreciate you making this ride possible

Folgore
on: February 9, 2020, 21:14

1 month down 🙂

Unitl a magazine crossed my desk last year I never hear of Three Flags, I know have 4 of my long-time riding buddies joining me on the 2020 campaign! Big thanks to the organizers, no small task to do this year after year!!

Q for the organziers though; how long is the checkpoint window typically open for at the end of day? I'm looking at a few alternate routes on Day 1 (that I have ridden on before) but could add an extra hour or two to the day pending traffic.

Thanks,
Jeff

lmichael
on: February 10, 2020, 08:01

Jeff, from above ^, the Checkpoints are typically open for long periods of time, such as 12 hours at a time.

A typical Checkpoint, let's say CP # 1 on this years ride, (and this is just an example) will open at 3:00 pm on the first day of the ride, and close at 8:00 pm on that same first day. But the next day it will open at 7:00 am, or maybe as late as 8:00 am, and stay open until about 8:00 pm that same day, and when it closes on the 2nd day, it is now closed for good. 😎

To use specific dates and timing, for you to better understand: 😮

Riders leave the Start Hotel in Mexicali at 2:30 am to 5:30 am on Thursday morning.
CP # 1 in Cortez, CO. opens at 2:00 pm on that same day, Thursday, and closes at 8:00 pm on that same day, Thursday.
CP # 1 opens again at 7:00 am on Friday morning, and stays open all day, until 8:00 pm on Friday.
When it closes on that Friday night, it is CLOSED for good, permanently. 😎

That give riders 6 hours on the very first day to make it to CP # 1, and gives other riders a full 13 hours the next day to make it to CP # 1, and ride on from there.

This is NOT like The IronButt Rally, where a CP is only open for a 2 hour window, period, and slams hard closed after that 2 hour window. 😀

This ride is designed to accommodate riders that fit the riding style of the "middle of the pack", not just the fastest riders, or the slowest riders.

Typically, 99.9% of all riders are able to make it to, and through each Checkpoint within the allotted time frame of the Checkpoints being open. 😎

And, Checkpoint Opening and Closing TIMES will be well published for all to see, months before the ride begins. 😀

Folgore
on: February 10, 2020, 17:09

Sounds great, and thanks for the thorough explanation.

denali
on: May 12, 2020, 14:26

Wow...the forum has shutdown along with everything else. I'm still planning to ride this year. Looking forward to the extra day of riding.

Kinda funny that the Longmont, Co checkpoint is the Springhill Suites. My family and I stayed in that hotel last May while out there...actually drove the same roads into Rocky Mt National Park....looking forward to the ride on my bike vs. the suburban. RMNP is beautiful with lots of wildlife.

Anyways...hope to generate a little conversation about this year's ride.

Anyone have a special route section they would like to share?

Of course, I'm from Alabama and the rocky mountains are some of my favorite places to ride. Unfortunately, I only get to ride out there a little every couple of years.

Mike

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.014 seconds.

Forum Archive
Please post all new comments in the above forum. These archives are available for reference past threads only.

FB Also visit our Three Flags Facebook page.

SCMA Archive | Three Flags Archive

Comments are closed.