Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mexican Vehicle Insurance
lmichael
Post Mexican Vehicle Insurance
on: April 23, 2019, 22:31

This was posted by BMWBOB on the 2020 Three Flags forum, so I am moving his questions to here, so that others riding this year, 2019, can see it, and hopefully it will help others.

BMWBOB said, "First timer for the TFC. Looking for information on Mexican Car Insurance. Where can you purchase it? Do you need to purchase it in person. How long is it good for. Can you buy it specifically for motorcycles. Is it a straight policy or are there “options” I should consider or not consider? I remember reading something in previous years eblasts or forums but can’t relocate it to save my ...."

BOB, here is my answer, but I would appreciate it if other veterans of this fine ride would also chime in, and help answer this.....

During the last millenia of years that I have been riding the Three Fags Classic, it has been a mixed bag of times that I have pre-purchased the motorcycle insurance for riding IN Mexico. Some years I do, some years I don't. I would recommend it for everyone to get this insurance, simply because it costs SO little, and does SO much to protect you, and your bike, "IF" you are involved in an accident.

You can "Google" it, and find the different carriers that sell the Mexican Auto Insurance, but if memory serves me (ha ha ha), I believe Sanborns is the one that I have used in the past, and the one that is generally advertised on the Three Flags e-blasts, as well as a couple other companies.

https://www.sanborns.com/

Check out a few different agencies, and compare rates.

Yes, you can get the insurance to cover your motorcycle.
Yes, you can get it for a specific TIME period, and can purchase it NOW, to cover that specific time period.

So, if you want to buy it now, or next month, or....the week before you leave to ride to Mexico, you can specify you want ti to cover August 29th and August 30th.....period.

That is just an example.

I believe in the past the insurance I have bought usually costs me between $ 25.00 and $ 75.00, for this short period of time, but it is money well spent.

And you can do this ONLINE, or on the phone with them, so you do NOT have to appear in their office...in person.

BrianNorri-
e
Advanced
Post Re: Mexican Vehicle Insurance
on: April 26, 2019, 07:35

Only a fool would enter Mexico "without" proper insurance. Cost for one 24 hour period is US$37.00. Not having insurance and getting into an accident could see you in a nice Mexican prison even if it's not your fault. Can you imagine sitting in a prison wishing you'd spent the $37.00 for deluxe coverage? If you would like to call or email a Sanborn agent I use Farmers Insurance in Mesa, AZ. Call or email Stephanie Sherman at 480-497-0117 or email at stephanie@baselineinsurance.com . Very nice Lady and she will know what you require. Like Nike says "just do it!"

BMWBOB
on: May 28, 2019, 19:44

Brian great information. Invaluable for east coast newbies. Really appreciate your response. I will Stephanie a call and "just do it".
Bob

prichard
on: June 5, 2019, 18:48

+1 for the other guys. Like Miles I have used Sanborns, both in person and online and been pleased with their service.

gonzo
Administrator
on: July 1, 2019, 13:35

Take a look at the June Newsletter article on page 32.
There is a list of proven sources.
This same article will be eBlasted this evening to the membership.

Destiny
on: July 28, 2019, 20:50

OK, Newbie hear. What about the Mexican TIP. Temporary Import Permit ??? Don’t we need to acquire one???? I’m confused at the best of times.

lmichael
on: July 29, 2019, 07:03

Destiny, the very short and to the point answer is, NO !

No one needs a Temporary Import Permit to go into Mexico for the couple days you will be there, for the Start of the Three Flags Classic.

gonzo
Administrator
on: August 6, 2019, 13:25

Hello Newbie (BMWBob)
Mexico automobile/motorcycle insurance can be purchased on line from various sources. I personally will be buying mine from Baja Bound https://www.bajabound.com.
Altho in the years of decades past some bought and some didn't, IT IS A REQUIREMENT TO SHOW YOUR MEXICO LIABILITY INSURANCE WHEN CHECKING IN AT THE START.

fron
Beginner
on: August 13, 2019, 18:38

If you use bajabound.com as Gonzo recommends above and in E blast#22...( the web site is fast and easy to use) ...please pay attention to the DATES that you need insurance...your PC software will paste in "todays'" date...you do get a chance to review the info before buying( take your time - read the info over)....so watch the date's fields when filling in the forms...also it gives you a chance to change the time of day that you anticipate arriving in Mexico...and you'll need a printer to print the proof of insurance...as you'll need it to check in at the start( see above)...thanks for the link Gonzo!

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3; Page loaded in: 0.04 seconds.

Forum Archive
Please post all new comments in the above forum. These archives are available for reference past threads only.

FB Also visit our Three Flags Facebook page.

SCMA Archive | Three Flags Archive

Comments are closed.